Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Born To Be Brad, by Brad Goreski

I've been a big fan of Brad Goreski since his time on The Rachael Zoe Project, and his new show, It's A Brad, Brad World, was one of my favorite new shows of the season. I find Brad to be charming, genuine, and absolutely hilarious, and I suspected that his new memoir, Born To Be Brad, would be as interesting and engaging as he is. I was right! I finished the book in one day, and my only regret is that I purchased it on my Kindle, instead of picking up the actual book, as there were several sections (featuring tips on fashion, travel, etc) that I felt would have been better appreciated on paper. On the Kindle, they were jumbled amongst the actual text, and I suspect that I also missed out on the visual impact of some of the photos, as my Kindle isn't in color. 

Other than that, I was thrilled with the purchase...despite being a "reality star," Brad hasn't shared much of his personal life or his background with audiences, with the exception of a few glimpses on his show this season. As such, it was truly interesting to see how a troubled, overweight kid with a drug problem transformed into a witty, polished, promising young stylist, regularly dressing A-list actresses for red carpet events. 

From his childhood as a young boy in love with sparkles, glamour, and Marilyn Monroe, to his experiences as a young assistant at Vogue and subsequent decision to venture into reality television, I loved taking this journey with Brad. If you're a fan of the show, I highly recommend picking up a copy of this book. It's far from what you'd expect from a typical "reality star," and there's style, substance, and depth in this excellent book. Many people have scoffed at the idea that a 33-year-old has written a memoir, but there's plenty here worth reading about.

No comments:

Post a Comment